In Round Rock ISD, the Dual Language program begins in kindergarten and continues through fifth grade at the 12 designated campuses. Our district offers the 90:10 Spanish Immersion model. In this model, Prekindergarten and Kinder students are instructed in Spanish for 90% and in English for 10% of their instructional day. All students in the program learn to read and write in Spanish first. Every year the students receive more English and less Spanish until 4th and 5th grade where the instruction is 50% in Spanish and 50% in English.
Bilingual Program Goals
- Provide the educational environment and instruction that will allow all students to become bilingual, biliterate and bicultural
- Develop fluency in communication and literacy in both English and Spanish
- Increase academic achievement in all areas
90:10 Dual Language Model
- Prekindergarten: 90% Spanish, 10% English 90% 90%
- Kindergarten: 90% Spanish, 10% English 90% 90%
- First Grade: 80% Spanish, 20% English 80% 80%
- Second Grade: 70% Spanish, 30% English 70% 70%
- Third Grade: 60% Spanish, 40% English 60% 60%
- Fourth Grade: 50% Spanish, 50% English 50% 50%
- Fifth Grade: 50% Spanish, 50% English 50% 50%
Dual Language Campuses
Transfers to Participate in Elementary Dual Language for Native English Speakers (Opt-in)
Parents who are interested in pursuing enrollment in the dual language program for their child will be required to attend a district and/or campus Parent Orientation meeting in the spring. Beginning in July, student candidates will be screened using an oral language proficiency assessment and are required to score “fluent” in English to be eligible for program enrollment. Upon qualification, parents will complete a dual language program application. Students who have met entry requirements will be entered into campus lotteries in late July.
Available class enrollment for opt-in transfer students into these programs are first made available to students zoned to the campus where the program is held. If your school does not have a dual language program and you are interested in participating, please contact Bertha Benedict at 512-464-5958 to be considered for a transfer into a dual language program. She will coordinate with the campus administrator and/or bilingual instructional coach to determine space availability.